Pregnancy Favorites

20 Weeks 


Somehow I woke up today 35 weeks pregnant.  :-O!  The first half of this pregnancy seemed to drag by, but the second half is flying at warp speed.  I'm sure a lot of that has to do with feeling much better these days than I did in the first and halfway through the second trimesters.  Sure, I'm getting a little uncomfortable (especially on the more humid days) but I will take that any day over the extreme nausea and puking from earlier on. 

I just read 2 "pregnancy favorites" posts from bloggers I follow, and even though I haven't blogged a bit of this pregnancy (or at all in a long time), I was inspired to write this post because I love reading them.  Also, I thought it might be interesting to refer back to in the future, especially if I am fortunate enough to get to do this whole pregnancy thing again (still have some work to do talking the husband into that...lol.)

First Trimester:  

I found out I was pregnant around 5 weeks and had a few blissful days of not feeling much different than my normal self.  From what I remember, the nausea and vomiting set in by 6 weeks.  I was so sick!  I know some people have it much worse and end up having to be hospitalized and everything, so I'm thankful to have avoided that but it was still not a fun experience at all! Nothing sounded remotely appetizing and I lost track of all of the many foods that ended up coming right back up after I ate them.  I ended up losing several pounds during this time period, but here are a few things that helped me function:

* Diclegis/Unisom + B6 - Diclegis is the prescription version of Unisom +B6 that you may have heard recommended for pregnancy-induced nausea and vomiting.  My doctor was able to give me several weeks worth of samples which were a lifesaver.  When I ran out of samples, the actual prescription was going to cost like $400 (um, no) so I switched to over the counter Unisom and B6 vitamins for the last few weeks I was sick.  I wasn't able to avoid puking altogether while taking the meds, but they definitely helped.  I did feel a little guilt over "exposing my baby to meds" for so long, but pretty quickly told myself to get over it.  It's hard to imagine how I would have worked and done daily tasks without it! 

 
* Saltines + plain noodles with butter and a little Parmesan -  pretty much all I ate for weeks 6 - 18

* Maternity leggings/nursing bras - In a move shocking no one, I incorporated comfy, accommodating clothes early on.  Leggings and dresses were a good go-to for work and I'm still rocking these nursing bras now and will continue to after the baby gets here and I'm, you know, actually nursing. 

Maternity Leggings 
Nursing Bras

* Palmer's Cocoa Butter Massage Lotion and Tummy Butter, Bio Oil - The skin stretching and subsequent itching and discomfort is real.  Both of these have been great at keeping me hydrated from early on.  The Bio Oil was gifted to me from a sweet work friend :-). 


2nd Trimester:

I was still dealing with some nausea and sickness well into the 2nd trimester, but eventually, around 18 weeks I started feeling so much better!

* Pregnancy body pillow - you've seen these - the most cliched item recommended for pregnancy ;).  I ordered one of the cheaper versions on Amazon and it has helped me sleep better because I can prop up my belly, put it in between my knees to better align my back, and prop my back up to keep me from sleeping flat on it (which it is recommended to avoid after about 20 weeks or so because of blood flow issues.)

* Baby Wise book - This is the only baby care book I've read in its entirety so far.  I like the idea of Parent Led Feeding it recommends and the assurance that this contributes to baby developing health sleep habits and sleeping through the night at an appropriate age.  As a brand new mom who has no idea what I'm doing, this book has made me feel more confident going in.  I plan to follow a similar "schedule" as what is recommended in the book while staying flexible and remembering that every baby is different.  We'll see how it goes!


* Stainless steel water bottle with filter - I've been trying to stay as hydrated as possible, and this bottle helped with that during the 2nd trimester.  I'm currently having some filter issues with it, but am hopeful I can figure that out and start using it again.

Water Bottle


3rd Trimester:

Still feeling much better at this point!  At the very beginning of the 3rd trimester we traveled to Arizona for a delayed honeymoon/babymoon/hang out with my stepson trip (he lives in Arizona.) With the exception of some tense moments I had to resisting puking with everything in my body while the plane was landing, I felt great for the majority of the trip.  I'm really glad we timed the trip when we did, though, because just a few weeks earlier or later and it would not have been nearly as enjoyable. 

* Comfy shoes - I bought these Soda slip-ons from Amazon in preparation for our trip, and they were perfect for the airport and the walking we did during the trip. 

Soda Tracer Slip-Ons

These Birkenstock knock-offs from Target have also been a must have lately, especially as my feet have started to swell:

Rose Gold Prudence Sandals .

* Watermelon - I have really struggled with appetite issues throughout the entire pregnancy (don't worry, I'm still managing to eat plenty lol.)  I just didn't really expect to have periods where NOTHING sounds good and I basically just have to make myself eat because I know I need to.  Watermelon is one of the only things I have had a legit craving for, and I can't get enough right now!

*Robe for the hospital - I just ordered this last week and it seems like it will be perfect for wearing in the hospital.  It's lightweight and nursing-friendly and cute :-)

Robe

I'm probably forgetting some things, but this is a good highlight of products, food and clothes that got me through these 35 weeks!


Comments